Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunday Adventures

Ok, so I have to tell you all how my Sunday went.  I’m wondering if the blonde highlights that I got last week are affecting my ability to think  J

I woke up Sunday morning to the house all to myself because my insane husband thought he should get up at 5:30 to go fishing.  Since I wasn’t home pretty much all weekend (even though I didn’t have any plans for the weekend) I needed to have a productive day of picking up the house, doing laundry and getting some groceries.

I put in my first load of laundry into the wash and per usual had to start the dryer to “touch-up” the last load that I left in the dryer from the last time I did laundry (apparently I lose steam when the last load is in and just leave it there for days).  So, I folded the clothes in the dryer after their “touch-up” and put the load in from the washer.  I started another load, folded up the dryer clothes and headed to Old Navy to do some returns (and more shopping).  When I returned home I put the load from the washer into the dryer and was folding the dryer load in the living room when all of a sudden I hear the dryer stop.

I wasn’t initially surprised since this has happened on many occasions because we have too many “things” running at the same time in our 100+ year old home that a fuse is tripped.  We usually march down to the basement and flip the switch back…problem solved.  When the dryer stopped this time, I listened to the silence that filled my home and realized….huh, the dryer was the only thing running in the entire house so how could I have blown a fuse?  I confirmed that I had not blown a fuse and was extremely disappointed to find out that our 70s Kenmore dryer had finally shit the bed.  While I’m texting Ben to tell him our dryer is dead I’m thinking what am I going to do with this soaking wet load of clothes in the dryer?

I decided to raid Ben’s quarter jar and head to the laundermat to dry my one load of clothes.  I was pleasantly surprised when I was greeted at the door by an employee and was escorted to dryer while she gave me instructions on how to use their equipment.  She recommended that I start with $1.50 for a 30 minute dry.  I put in my quarters and headed to a table to read my book.  I found it very difficult to concentrate on my book because I was repeatedly distracted observing my surroundings (aka – people watching).  There really wasn’t too many people worthy of watching, but I found it extremely odd that the couple sitting at the table next to me did not bring anything to do while they waited for their clothes to wash/dry and I didn’t hear them utter a single word to each other.  Once this couple stood up to take care of their laundry, the next couple that sat next to me thought that the laundermat was a good place to have public displays of affection…gross.

Overall, it was a pretty uneventful experience until I was grabbing my basket of folded clothes to head out and a rather creepy/drugged-out looking man asked me if I had a dryer sheet he could have.  Since my load already had a dryer sheet from my dryer, I didn’t bring a thing with me so I politely told him I was sorry but I didn’t have one.  He then insinuated I was lying and told me that I did have one.  I repeated that I was sorry, but no.  So then he asks me if I had a cigarette he could have.  Nope, sorry I don’t smoke.  How about illegal drugs, do you have any of those?  This is where I shake my head and turn around to leave without responding.  What a creep!

Thankfully, I won’t have to use the laundermat anytime soon because when Ben finally got home from fishing he looked at the outlet in the bathroom to find that the outlet tripped  J  What an idiot I am.  I checked the fuse box, but not the outlet.  Our dryer is just fine!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahha! thats GREAT stuff to blog about! haha