I’ve been a little hesitant to share this post because it’s 100% my opinion and I’m not looking to create any drama or be de-friended on Facebook because someone gets upset with one or all of my top 10 things not to do on Facebook. These are in no particular order…
1. Post drunk photos – most of us are friends with family members or at least a handful of people that we work with. Do you think your aunt wants to know how wasted you got last night?
2. Post cryptic message – I have to say this is my biggest peeve about posts. Don’t tell everyone you’re having the worst/best day and then not tell us why. Do yourself a favor and tell us right away so you can save yourself the extra step of logging back onto Facebook after 18 people ask you why.
3. Comment about work – I struggle with this one. Being that I spend the majority of my day at work there is of course always something to say about it or someone…just remember you have to go back the next day.
4. Use Facebook to share your religious or political views – this is where some people might be offended. Nothing against people that do this once in awhile, but there are some on Facebook that this is all they do. It gets old and rarely does it start a meaningful debate.
5. Constantly talk about how your life sucks – unless something tragic actually happened, your life doesn’t suck that bad.
6. Check-in – this used to bother me because it broadcasts to the world that you’re not at home and your house is free to rob, but now it bothers me because it’s getting out of hand with how often people are using this. Unless I’m stalking you, I don’t need to know where you are at all times.
7. Send love letters for everyone to see – try texting or sending a personal message.
8. Post about how much and how often you drink – similar to number one, but in this case it’s not just one occasion. People will start to feel bad for you, but not bad enough to do something about it. And remember your future employer could be reading.
9. Use Status Shuffle – this is a key indicator that you don’t have anything else to do. Save your posting for when you actually have something to say.
10. Do not post your high scores from Facebook games – I am totally guilty of doing this in the past, but now I realize how annoying it is.
PLEASE don’t hate me for posting any of these :-)